Mercurial for Distributed VCS

Topics: Source Control Integration
Mar 22, 2011 at 5:35 PM

I am flirting heavily with the idea of working with an integration with Mercurial VCS (http://mercurial.selenic.com/about/). At the moment I am using SubVersion, but not integrated into AX. 

Anyone else been thinking about integrating AX source control with SVN or even Mercurial?

Jul 6, 2011 at 6:55 PM

The APIs are there to implement your own integration. I've looked into this before - merely for academic purposes. It's certainly possible, but it seems like a lot of work.

Mar 5, 2012 at 2:59 PM

It would be nice for an option that wasn't TFS/SourceSafe/MorphX since SourceSafe is pretty much a non-option and Morphx is a guaranteed silo unless your entire company runs on AX only. Price isn't too much of an issue since most companies that can afford AX can already afford TFS, but something like Git/Mercurial/SVN would probably be huge boon to the AX community. Especially since a huge number of companies are either using SVN or switching to Mercurial/Git.

May 1, 2012 at 5:17 AM
Edited May 1, 2012 at 5:21 AM

I have managed to integrate Ax 2009 with TFS (Single AOS, multi developers, behave exactly like MorphX) and our company is running that. Haven't heard anyone complain for months now.

I could possibly look at the idea of hooking in Git/Mercurial/SVN too.

Is there much interest around this?

May 1, 2012 at 11:21 AM

/me raises his hand :D

Jun 7, 2012 at 12:08 PM

I have personaly developed a GIT integration for AX 2012. It uses the .NET libgit2 binding to work on a local repository and works exactly like MorphX (Single AOS, Multiple DeveloperS).

The only problem: The company I work for doesn't know if they want to sell it or not. I personaly won't mind releasing it under a FLOSS license.

Jun 7, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Sounds interesting. FLOSS is a very open and liberal license, as far as I know (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_and_open_source_software). 

I guess your solution could be expanded to support a both against a local repo and a central shared repo, or do you just let it work against a local repo and use other tools to update your local repo against a central shared repo?

(repo = repository)

Jun 11, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Arbaal, it sounds like what you have developed would give us Mercurial uses a huge headstart. The MercurialNet API looks like it could work well in the same was as libgit2 has for you.

Any chance we could help convince your company to sell/open source what you've done?

Otherwise we will start work on something here in the next couple of days...

Jan 16, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Arbaal, I would be extremely interested in your git/AX integration if your company is interested in releasing it.  Please post here if you have an update. :)